Monday, June 02, 2008

Amy (Belatedly) Reads the Week (of June 1st, 2008)

Mea culpa, Gentle Reader, for not writing sooner. I wish I could claim the busyness or the stress of the past few months, but, in fact, I cannot. Rather, Mr. Reads and I spent the weekend in blissful television and movie enjoyment. We went to see Speed Racer (Very Fun Indeed!), we watched through season 3 of Foyle's War (Quite Brilliant), tried to see Indiana Jones, but could not summon the energy (I would rather, in all honesty, see The Strangers), and, most importantly, saw the most recent season premiere of The Venture Bros., a show I would hesitate in confessing to like if it were not as smart as it is (and that is Rather Smart Indeed).

There was, of course, also the Rather Expensive Dining-Out Celebration of my Successful Defense, and it was, it must be said, Rather Delicious for all of that.

As for presents for a Successful Venture, I believe I have mentioned that Mr. Reads purchased for myself (and therefore also himself) a Nintendo DS, and I have purchased for myself (and only for myself) a shiny pretty pink ipod nano, 8mg, as my original 2nd generation ipod has died a slow, painful, and Rather Agonizing Death. The nano is Awfully Tiny, and I worry, constantly, that it will get lost in the *ahem* shuffle.

I urge you, Gentle Reader, to pursue Foyle's War, a BBC show set in Hastings during the beginning of WWII. It is a detective show complete with ghastly Murder Mysteries, of the most (and least) well-mannered and cozy kind. That is to say, it is in the tradition of the armchair detective (a la Christie) but with a True Detective (a la Chandler). Very enjoyable, particularly for its portrayal of gender, class, and sexuality issues.

2 comments:

AcadeMama said...

I really want to see The Strangers too, and Hubby is not at all interested!! If you're available sometime between tomorrow and Sunday, he'll be out of town, and I'd be happy to catch the show :)

Amy Reads said...

Hi Academama,
I really want to see The Strangers too, and Hubby is not at all interested!! If you're available sometime between tomorrow and Sunday, he'll be out of town, and I'd be happy to catch the show :)

Perhaps! Email me and we'll chat. Mr. Reads very much wants to see it, so I don't know if I can abandon him two weekends in a row (given the upcoming dance celebration of my successful defense!).
Ciao,
Amy